Are you passionate about creativity? Do you thrive in a collaborative, grassroots environment where everyone pulls together to create change? If you seek to apply your skills in service of social justice through the art of dance, we would love to hear from you!
Benefits of Working at Luna
- Professional learning at no cost
- Race, equity and inclusion trainings & practice
- Group health plans: medical, dental & vision at shared cost
- Paid holiday, vacation & sick leave
- Retirement match
- Sabbatical at tenure
- Writing, publication & conference opportunities
- Advocacy & community leadership
Professional Development Opportunities
Luna Dance is committed to providing ongoing and varied opportunities for our teaching faculty. Below is a sample of the many ways that our faculty has engaged in furthering their craft and the field.
- Arts Education Bay Area Alliance Executive Board
- Berkeley Cultural Trust Committee
- California Dance Education Association Executive Board
- National Dance Education Organization Conference
- National Guild for Community Arts Education Conference & Leadership Institute
- VSA Intersections: Arts and Special Education Conference
- Writing articles for Dance Education in Practice & InDance
Current Job Opportunities
Are you passionate about creativity? Do you thrive in a collaborative, grassroots environment where everyone pulls together to create change? If you seek to apply your skills in service of social justice through the art of dance, Luna Dance might be the place for you!
Luna seeks to hire two experienced Dance Teaching Artists to teach in our early childhood programs. In-person teaching will take place in Oakland and Berkeley early learning centers. Two positions are offered: a 50% teaching position, and a 75% position that is right for a dance artist who is interested in working closely in collaboration with classroom teachers and instructional aides in a coaching capacity.
Compensation is commensurate with experience based on a full-time equivalency of $58-62,000. The 75% position comes with full benefits and partial benefits are available for the 50% position.
Luna is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We seek to expand our capacity to serve by hiring faculty from previously underrepresented communities.
Apply for this position if:
- Dancing and playing with young children
- Collaborating and reflecting with teachers and teaching artists
- Learning and growing alone and with others
- Working for an organization at a pivotal point in its growth
- Equity and inclusion
- Creative process
- Critical conversations on dilemmas that may not have a sole answer
You have some of these
- Dance is a part of your life
- Five years of experience working with children, at least three with 0-5 year olds
- Sense of play and joy in working with the in-the-moment nature of children
- Experience working with children with cognitive and developmental disabilities
- Reflective practice that integrates curiosity and inquiry in teaching/learning
- Openness to receiving feedback
- Confidence to ask questions
- Ability to hold self accountable when working independently
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Reliable transportation to and from partner sites
- Spanish, Chinese, or other language skills
In a typical week, you might
- Design and teach creative dance classes at partner schools or in community
- Collaborate in planning and reflection
- Engage professionally with partner teachers, school administrators, and families
- Document and share dance learning with Luna and school communities
- Meet with Director to address teaching inquiry and reflect on practice
To apply: Please send cover letter indicating why you wish to work for Luna, with current résumé detailing at least 5 years of experience to Jochelle Pereña, firstname.lastname@example.org. Submission date extended to June 12, 2023..
About Luna Dance Institute
Luna Dance was established in 1992 with a mission to bring creativity, equity and community to every child’s life through the art of dance. In spring 2022 Luna purchased a building for our permanent home and we are raising funds to renovate it as an ADA accessible community dance hub in Berkeley, CA. Our extensive programs, now virtual and offsite, will return to in-person and onsite when we open the doors to our new space, fall 2023.
We believe it is every child’s right to dance. Each year we partner with multiple schools and organizations, and support hundreds of educators and teaching artists, in developing creative, high-quality dance programs for children.
We value the endless possibilities revealed when CREATING through dance. Dance requires us to be present and open in the moment, accessing freedom in new and unpredictable ways. Dance is embodied knowledge made visible, aesthetically crafted to communicate through movement. At Luna, we value children for who they are today and for their potential to CHANGE and shape our world. We strive for integrity as we serve our COMMUNITY by increasing access to dance for all children and providing support and solidarity to those who teach them.
Luna Dance Institute is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse team and inclusive culture. Luna Dance encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status.