“The Arts and Music in Schools – Funding Guarantee and Accountability Act” ballot measure is our chance to make lasting change in California’s students’ lives. The proposed ballot measure will provide substantial ongoing funding to public schools’ arts programs without raising taxes. Luna encourages ALL California arts and education organizations to join Create CA in endorsing and advocating for this measure that would go on the ballot November 2022. Create CA shares the following:
Here are a few reasons why voters should care about prioritizing arts funding.
- Students from low-income communities do not have equitable access to arts education.
- The arts are a tool for students’ mental health and wellbeing, especially in this current rise of student mental health challenges.
- Art classes are proven to aid in academic achievement in other subjects.
- Arts education helps decrease dropout rates and increase students’ chances of college success.
- Arts education helps students discover their voice and use it for their community.
- Arts education teaches students to be creative problem-solvers in every subject and area.
- Business leaders need creative workers, no matter the field. The arts are essential for developing the 21st-century workforce.
This proposed ballot measure would:
- Dedicate ongoing funding to arts education for all California PreK-12 public schools without raising taxes.
- Increase art educators in schools by 50%.
- Ensure every California public school student participates in the arts during the school day.
- Increase equitable access by providing additional funds to schools serving low-income communities.
- The measure also includes robust accountability and transparency requirements to ensure the money gets spent effectively.
What you can do right now is:
- Sign up for Create CA’s newsletter by clicking here. They’ll keep you informed about the next steps in the ballot measure process.
- Sign the petition by clicking here. You’ll receive a printed petition in the mail with a pre-paid envelope to sign and return.
- If you work for or volunteer at a non-profit, ask the board to officially endorse the measure, then share your endorsement on social media and newsletter. Using these images to show your support on social media!
- Sign up to collect signatures!
- Learn how to get involved with the Arts & Music in Schools Initiative by connecting with the campaign team on Monday, March 14th at 2pm. Register here!