Luna’s Launch on September 8 kicked off our renovations and the public phase of the capital campaign. You can be part of this effort to build a new home for dance education in Berkeley! Join us in the first part of this campaign by helping raise $50K in 50 days! Discover more about the capital campaign and how to donate here.
Create CA‘s Creativity Challenge: The State of Arts Education in California report compares the 2019-20 school year to data from 2005-06 to show that though some schools have made incremental improvements in providing high-quality arts education, nearly nine in ten schools in California fail to provide state-mandated arts education. Read the report here.
The Black Teaching Artist Lab and Creative Generation published A Missing Narrative: Moving Towards Understanding the Black Experience in Teaching Artistry in the U.S., combining research findings and perspectives from Black teaching artists, educators, and cultural practitioners on three primary topics: 1) The Importance of Community, 2) Cultivation of Black-Centered Spaces, and 3) Discrimination within the U.S. Education and Cultural Systems. Read the report here.
Come dance with us outdoors in community while our studio is being renovated! Our family dance classes are a fun way to shake up your Saturday mornings. We’re offering 2 classes in the fall and 2 in the spring in Berkeley parks. Discover more about these free classes here.
One of our favorite courses to teach – Love, Move, Play™ – returns this fall! Open to all those who work with young children. Learn to support their sense of embodied discovery, joyful movement play, and make space for children’s choice and voice in this interactive 6-week course. Discover more here.
Luna alum Valerie Gutwirth shares an open dance teaching position in Berkeley that she cultivated for 23 years. As she is retiring, she’s assisting in finding a wonderful replacement. Here are the details:
- 2 Berkeley Unified school sites, each one two days per week
- 7 classes at each site, each class is 45 minutes
- At one site classes are K-2nd grade, at the other grades 1-3
- Both sites love dance with experienced classroom colleagues and supportive communities
- Candidates do not need to be credentialed, as this is currently a temporary position, but can extend beyond the school year if the candidate decides to pursue a dance teaching credential
- More information: Please contact Cragmont principal Candy Cannon, firstname.lastname@example.org